Use This Home-made Scrub Twice a Week and Thank Me Later
Exfoliation of skin can prevent a number of skin problems. And just like cleansing toning and moisturizing, scrubbing or exfoliating your skin is a significant step in skin care regime. Essentially the benefits of using a scrub are the removal of dead skin cells from the skin and impurities, leaving you feeling fresh and your skin looking rejuvenated and revitalized. Exfoliating dead skin cells tends to remove the dull and lack lustre appearance of the skin. Here are few of the benefits of scrubbing —
- Helps removing dead cells
- Removes dark patches
- Reduces flakiness of the skin
- Improves skin texture
- Removes acne scars
- Gives a clear complexion
- Adds glow to the skin
However time and again I have been confused with the question of how often is it right to exfoliate your skin?! And honestly I am still not sure. But it’s been more than a year I have stopped using store-bought scrubs and I have been very happy with the decision. I am not into scrubbing daily but I do make it a point to scrub twice a week and that has been working fine for my skin. And I feel this duration shall work fine for most skin types.
This home-made scrub has helped me get rid of dark patches, not it’s helping me get rid of the dark spots ( check – Recent Skin Confession and Routine ) and evens out skin tone, does not dry out my skin and is very mild!
– Ingredients –
The ingredients are simple, easily available at every household and very few. But you shall be amazed the effect it will have on you skin.
SUGAR – Though its best to avoid sugar in your diet but when it comes to skin care you may think about considering it. Sugar has some amazing components that could do wonders to your skin —
- Natural humectant it draws moisture from the environment into your skin. Applying sugar scrub to your skin helps hydrate and keep the moisture in the skin.
- Natural glycol acid that penetrates the skin & generates a fresh glowing skin.
- Heals sun damage and aging.
- Sugar scrub also discourages ingrown hairs and bumps.
- It works well to slough off those dead skin cells & reveal healthy glowing skin.
- A great gentle scrub.
I generally use powdered sugar or castor sugar which you can easily make at or is readily available at general stores.
ROSE WATER – From time unknown rose-water has been regarded as one of the best ingredient for beauty. And why not?! with its innumerable benefits it still rules the beauty industry. Every Indian girl and even every Middle-eastern girl will swear by rose water for her skin problems. And just to name a few benefits —
- It has no side effects
- Contains numerous powerful antioxidants
- Protects skin from damage
- Has anti-inflammatory properties, which means it can be put on the skin to soothe the irritation caused by conditions, such as eczema and rosacea
- Acts as an inhibitor against elastase and collagenase, which are both harmful to the skin
- Can help soothe the skin and reduce redness, as well as act as an anti-aging product by reducing the appearance of lines and wrinkles
HONEY – Honey is loaded with anti aging ingredients and do I say more?! Well here are a few more —
- Honey reduces pimples especially the red ones due to its anti-bacterial properties.
- The organic acid in honey like gluconic acid accelerates shedding dead skin cells just like a scrub but without mechanical rubbing. With age, dead cells stick to skin surface giving dull and patchy look because their shedding is delayed. Hence, honey helps in improving the dull, patchy look of your skin.
- It is an antiseptic
- Honey is rich in anti-inflammatory factors that soothes your sensitive skin (but do check you ain’t allergic to honey)
- Can be used to treat fungal infections of skin
LEMON – Lemon juice, being a natural , can also cure problems related to the skin. And there are a lot more benefits of using lemon on skin —
- Applying lemon juice on face fades all types of facial discolorations and scars of the face
- Use lemon on face if you have acne scars or any other kind of scars. It is highly effective home remedy for removing scars
- Lemon is bursting with the wonders of Alpha hydroxyl acids, which help in removing dead skin cells. It is definitely easy and effective way to slough off the dead skin cells
- Use of lemon facilitates skin renewal
- Helps improve skin tone
– How to prepare –
Take a tsp of powdered sugar and add a few drops of rose-water, a drop of honey and a few drops of lemon juice. Make a thick sticky mixture out of it. If the mixture is too runny, add a little more sugar to make it thick. The quantity of the ingredient should be according to the area of your use. The mixture can be stored in a refrigerator but I tend to make it fresh and use the whole of it in one use.
– How to use –
Take the thick paste and put a layer of it on your face and neck. You can also use it for other parts of the body. Let it stay for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes, went you hands and gently scrub the mixture on your skin and wash off with lukewarm water.
Use this scrub twice a week and you will notice a good change in your skin. This scrub has helped me get rid of dark patches and my acne marks and dark spots have lightened considerably 🙂
I am sure you are going to love using this one as much as I do! And do let me know if you have any other home-made remedies for curing dark spots.
That’s all for today.
Till next time <3 Keep Glowing!