The festival of colours
I have been thinking of starting my blog for quite sometime now and finally I am glad i could give a kick start to it.And what better time than the festival of colours.
And this is my first blog i shall keep it short and sweet(like literally).
The best part of festivals in india is food… And every festival is incomplete without sweets!! And so here is the recipe of a sweet that is loved by everyone – Jalebiiii !
Jalebi is something that is time consuming and tricky . But I have simplified the recipe and trust me u can actually make it in an hour!
Lets get started…
Servings:- 4 people
- 1 cup – All purpose flour
- 1/4 cup – water(luke warm)
- 3tbsp – curd(wisk it before use)
- 2tbsp – ghee
- 2tbsp – cornflour
- 1/4 tsp – salt
- 1tsp – fruitsalt(Eno) *do not use any flavoured Eno
- A pinch orange colour (optional)
- Oil for frying
- A squeezy bottle/ Piping bag
For sugar syrup
- 2 cup sugar
- 2 cup water
- 3 cardamom
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- Its always better to make the syrup first if u are making any sweet that needs to be dipped in it. So for the syrup add the the equal quantities of sugar and water in a heavy bottom pan and stir .Throw in a few pieces of cardomom. Keep the flame in medium and cook till one string consistency*.
- Once the syrup reaches that point put in the lemon juice, mix well and keep it in lowest flame.
- Now heat a kadai or a deep frying pan and keep ghee/oil to fry the jalebis.
- In a dry mixing bowl mix the flour, salt , cornflour , orange colour, ghee and the curd.Mix them together , cover and keep aside for half an hour. *Be careful not to add any water and the fruit salt.
- After half an hour add little water in the mixture and mix well. U need to get a flowy mixture in ribbon consistency*.And if u get this consisitency before u add all the water(amount suggested in the ingredients) u do not need to add more water, here u need to trust your instincts.
- When the oil has heated up well and you are all ready to fry the jalebis, this is the time to add the fruit salt to the mixture and mix well and fast. The mixture shall turn airy.
- Put the mixture in a squeezy bottle and slowly drop in the mixture making overlapping circles.
- Fry your jalebis in low medium flame till crisp and cooked.
- Drain the excess oil with a tissue and immediately drop them in the hot syrup. Let these twisted beauties soak in the syrup well for a few mintues.
- Serve hot!!
- One string consistency – Take out one tsp syrup and dip your thumb in it. Now touch your thumb with your index finger and remove u will see a sticky string of the syrup.(Shall post a pic of the same in the next sweet recipe )
- Ribbon consistency – When you take out a spoonful of the mixture and drop it back it should fall making ribbons.(The consisitency is like dosa batter)
- The sugar syrup should be warm else the jalebis wont soak in the syrup and will turn out dry and not enough sweet.
Do try it out this holi and lemme know if u guys liked it. Do send me pics and if u liked the recipe do share.
Enjoy and Happy Holi!!